Chelation Therapy

Chelation therapy is used to treat heavy metal poisoning, such as lead, mercury, arsenic or other toxic metals, as well as some other medical conditions. I found it helpful in treating patients with high cholesterol, peripheral neuropathy, chronic fatigue, psoriasis, eczema and rheumatoid arthritis, Hashimoto’s disease and other autoimmune conditions. The chelating agents (EDTA, DMSA, DMPS) bind the metals and allow them to be removed through the urine. The method has been used since the 1940’s, and is very safe and effective.

Lead Toxicity

Patients with high levels of lead in blood are at increased risk of death from stroke and myocardial infarction. In one of the latest studies lead was called a “Silent Killer in US”. Toxic metals consume body’s reserves of antioxidants, such as Glutathione. The main function of antioxidants is to neutralize free-radicals. If antioxidants are consumed at a high pace the ability of the immune system to eliminate free radicals is compromised. As a result multiple chemical reactions in the body (such as cellular breathing) slow down or shut down completely. It leads to premature aging, degenerative diseases (arthritis, blood hypertension, diabetes), autoimmune diseases and a lot of other medical conditions. Other toxic metals (mercury, cadmium, arsenic etc.) produce very similar effects.
Symptoms of Lead Toxicity:

  • Diffuse muscle weakness
  • General fatigue/lethargy
  • Attention deficit/ irritability
  • Myalgia
  • Joint pain/arthritis
  • Loss of appetite
  • Unusual taste in mouth/change in taste of food
  • Headache
  • Insomnia
  • Irritability
  • Diminished libido, impotence
  • Weight loss of 10 lbs or more without known cause
  • Tremulousness
  • Personality Changes
  • Peripheral neuropathy
  • Abdominal pain/cramping
  • Nausea/vomiting
  • Short-term memory loss
  • Depression
  • Incoordination
  • Paresthesias
  • Constipation

Mercury Toxicity

Mercury is the most toxic heavy metal. Mercury is commonly used in: dental amalgams, explosive detonators; thermometers, barometers, batteries and electrodes (”calomel”); and in fungicides and pesticides. Except for large fish, the human intake of dietary mercury is negligible.

Methylated (organic) mercury is hundreds of times more toxic than inorganic mercury and has a particular affinity for the brain and spinal cord.
Typically, mercury poisoning involves fatigue and poor digestion. There are over 125 documented symptoms of mercury toxicity. Some of them are anxiety, insomnia, depression, fatigue, irritability, anger, sleep disturbance, headaches, speech disorders, leg cramps, clumsiness, tremors, loss of appetite, vomiting, gastritis, colitis, bloating, persistent flatulence, excessive salivation, abdominal pain, dizziness, bad breath, heart attack.

Presentation of symptoms associated with excessive mercury can depend on many factors: the chemical form of absorbed mercury, presence of other synergistic toxins (Lead, Cadmium, Arsenicum and other heavy metals), presence of disease that depletes or inactivates lymphocytes or is immunosuppressive, organ levels of glutathione, and the concentration of protective nutrients (e.g. zinc, selenium, vitamin E).

Early signs of mercury toxicity include: decreased senses of touch, hearing, vision and taste, metallic taste in mouth, fatigue or lack of physical endurance, and increased salivation. Symptoms of moderate or chronic exposure may include: anorexia, numbness and paresthesias, headaches, hypertension, irritability, eczema, hair loss, and immune suppression.

Most of physicians frequently miss mercury toxicity because these symptoms are vague and nonspecific, and may be caused by many other conditions.
Once mercury is inside the cells it is not eliminated from the body spontaneously. The rate of spontaneous elimination is negligible. Only chelation therapy with DMPS or DMSA can fully and reliably remove Mercury from the body.